New Hampshire Logo

Back

Buying a Home with Bad Credit

By Derren Peters

When purchasing a home, your credit will play a very pivotal role in determining if you will qualify for a mortgage that will make buying a home possible. It is useful to know that you can still buy a home even if you have bad credit. Whether you have bad credit from poorly managed debt, have filed bankruptcy or have gone through a foreclosure, there are mortgage loan programs you can utilize that are specifically designed for those with less than favorable credit.

Different types of home loans for bad credit

There are three specific kinds of bad credit loans for first time home buyers that you may qualify for. These are FHA loans, VA mortgage loans, and subprime mortgage loans.

An FHA loan, otherwise known as a Federal Housing Administration insured loan, is a loan program that has been provided by the federal government since the 1930s to help stimulate the housing market, and it is designed to provide options for people who have fair or poor credit, have a low down payment (minimum of 3.5%), have undergone bankruptcy, or have been foreclosed on. It is the easiest type of real estate mortgage to qualify for and it is easy to transfer to a new buyer, should you decide to later sell the home. However, since it lacks other strict standards of a conventional loan, an FHA loan requires two kinds of mortgage insurance premiums, and for the house meets certain conditional standards via an appraisal from an FHA-approved appraiser. To qualify for an FHA loan, a borrower:

• Must have steady employment history or worked for same employer for the last two years.

• Must have valid Social Security number, lawful residency in the U.S., and be of legal age to sign a mortgage in your state.

• Must make a minimum down payment of 3.5% on the house, or 10% down if your credit score is between 500 and 579. The money can be gifted by a family member (conventional financing does not allow gifting).

• Must have a property appraisal from an FHA-approved appraiser.

• Mortgage payment (including principal, interest, property taxes, property insurance) needs to be less than 31% of your gross monthly income.

• Monthly debt (mortgage, credit cards, auto, student loans, etc.) cannot be more than 43% of your monthly income.

• Must have a minimum credit score of 500. A credit score of 580 and above requires a 3.5% down payment and a credit score of 500-579 requires a 10% down payment. FHA-qualified lenders will use a case-by-case basis to determine an applicants' credit worthiness.

• Must be two years out of bankruptcy, with good credit.

• Must be three years out of foreclosure, with good credit.

The VA mortgage program is designed for first time homebuyers who are veterans of the armed services. Many times, VA loans will allow a first time homebuyer with bad credit to buy a home with no money down and then benefit from historically low interest rates on their loan. If you are in active duty, in the reserves, or you are married to someone who is, this could be one of the best bad credit loans for first time homebuyers as its down payment and interest options are most favorable to you.

Finally, there is a subprime mortgage loan option, which is specifically for the first time homebuyer with bad credit. A subprime mortgage is a type of loan granted to those with poor credit, often with scores below 600, who, as a result of their poor credit score, would be unable to qualify for other types of mortgages. Since those with poor credit history present a higher risk to mortgage lenders, candidates for subprime mortgages are charged high interests rates than the prime lending rate. Although a subprime mortgage will cost borrowers more in the long run, it is a good option for someone with bad credit who has few other options for a home loan.

Advice for Home Buyers with Bad Credit

If you know you have bad credit and are certain that you still want to purchase a home in the near future, the best advice to take to heart is to plan ahead and try to improve your credit score by producing some positive credit history. And then, before you apply for any of the above-mentioned mortgage loans, make a concerted effort to reduce your regular monthly expenditures and keep them steady; doing this will help you better afford your new mortgage payments in the long term once you are approved, and set you up for a problem-free home buying process.

Popular Articles:

How to Improve Your Credit Score

How Much House Can I Afford?

Buying a Short Sale Property

Homebuyer's Checklist

4 Tips for Managing Your Budget

Mistakes to Avoid When Selling a House

How to Flip a House

Comments

Leave a comment:

* Login in order to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join for Free
18 hours ago

roy silva

Wow, credit hacks are nothing new these days. This actually was made known to me by a close friend who introduced me to a hacker by the name Richardgreenblattcreditrepair, The hacker cleared the

20 hours ago

Sean Clarke

Contact ( CYBERGURU@INBOX.RU ) for
+University grades hack
+Cheating spouse
+Bank account hacks,
+Facebook Hacking,
+Gmail, AOL, Yahoomail,
+Database hacking,
+PC

22 hours ago

Grace Rob

I had my credit increased from 590 to 850 within 3 days with the help of Cyber Tech. Someone from here linked me up with him, at first I was skeptical about it but I contacted him because I needed to

1 day ago

Robert Pearson

Checked my credit score few months ago and it was around 430 because I had messed it up and I need to upgrade it. So I decide to explain to my friend if he had anyone who could help me get my score up

1 day ago

Patrick Lawson

Hi, during the past few years I have tried without success to fix my credit and instead of it, it has gotten worse. The last time was last year in which they request me some payments and five (5)

1 day ago

Whitney Miller

Hello i'm Whitney and i want to recommend Alvinburkecyberservice@bk.ru; They are the best hacking team i have ever come in contact with, i never believed they could help me build up my credit score

1 day ago

AMANDA CROWTHER

I had derogatory informations on my payment history from bankruptcy, liens, foreclosures, and late payments which plummeted my FICO score. My life was in a mess and I could get no loans from banks and

1 day ago

Terry Pocock

I am a living proof of (Cyberguru@inbox.ru) heâ??s real and does legit hacking service, successfully cleared my bad debt after which my credit report was boosted to 756â?¦you would be amazed

2 days ago

Andy Russel

Hi everyone, i really want to use this opportunity to thank INTERNETDON for helping me and a couple of my friends to increase our credit score and also removed some items off my collections. He also

2 days ago

Susan Patrick

Couple of weeks ago my Husband and I needed to our fix credits, so we contacted DPROTOCOL the credit expert although he was recommended to us by an old friend Gerrard. We explained to him about the

3 days ago

Williams Scott

I want say a very big thanks to HACKNET, My credit was so horrible. I had everything on there from repossessions, evictions, etc. I just wanted to be able to live somewhere decent and that was

3 days ago

tasha lowe

I want to use this medium to thank Richardgreenblattcreditrepair for helping me to boost my credit score. He help me increase my credit score to 819 excellent plus and also increase my credit limt to

3 days ago

Marina Alexander

I lost my job and used all I had to make payments until it was finished, this includes my retirement fund. I wrote every creditor a letter asking for a one year deferment of interest and payments and

4 days ago

Gilbert Faraday

DPROTOCOL is a great credit specialist who will be there for you till all working process is done. He is very responsive, transparent, providing great ideals and help to your credit. For a first timer

4 days ago

Grey Ham

I was able to remove my lien and unwanted collections on my credit and also had my credit increased from 520 to 850 within a short time with the help of CYBERGURU@INBOX.RU someone from here linked me

4 days ago

Williams Franklin

When I first heard about TROJANVIRUS I heard many Positive things about them. At first I was scared because there is a lot of personal information that is required for a person to give. I proceeded

5 days ago

Mark part

I suffered an accident in 2014 which did put a stop to my work and subsequently from earning. I was also involved in a failed business investment before the accident. The disability checks never was

5 days ago

Elizabeth Payton

I was really frustrated and almost gave up. Then I met NEW HORIZON CREDIT through Google recommendations, my days of fury came to an end. I am overwhelmed with the solution I got. How possible is it

5 days ago

Elizabeth Payton

5 days ago

Bazyli Awe

I have seen a reputable credit repair agency and I emphatically state that they are the most trustworthy people you can trust with your credit. I can never forget what they did for me; my credit

About The Author

Become an Expert Contributor

Have some knowledge to share, and want easy and effective exposure to our audience? Get your articles or guides featured on New Hampshire Homes today! Learn more about being an expert contributor.

Learn More