New Hampshire Logo

Back

Buying a Home with Bad Credit

By Derren Peters

When purchasing a home, your credit will play a very pivotal role in determining if you will qualify for a mortgage that will make buying a home possible. It is useful to know that you can still buy a home even if you have bad credit. Whether you have bad credit from poorly managed debt, have filed bankruptcy or have gone through a foreclosure, there are mortgage loan programs you can utilize that are specifically designed for those with less than favorable credit.

Different types of home loans for bad credit

There are three specific kinds of bad credit loans for first time home buyers that you may qualify for. These are FHA loans, VA mortgage loans, and subprime mortgage loans.

An FHA loan, otherwise known as a Federal Housing Administration insured loan, is a loan program that has been provided by the federal government since the 1930s to help stimulate the housing market, and it is designed to provide options for people who have fair or poor credit, have a low down payment (minimum of 3.5%), have undergone bankruptcy, or have been foreclosed on. It is the easiest type of real estate mortgage to qualify for and it is easy to transfer to a new buyer, should you decide to later sell the home. However, since it lacks other strict standards of a conventional loan, an FHA loan requires two kinds of mortgage insurance premiums, and for the house meets certain conditional standards via an appraisal from an FHA-approved appraiser. To qualify for an FHA loan, a borrower:

• Must have steady employment history or worked for same employer for the last two years.

• Must have valid Social Security number, lawful residency in the U.S., and be of legal age to sign a mortgage in your state.

• Must make a minimum down payment of 3.5% on the house, or 10% down if your credit score is between 500 and 579. The money can be gifted by a family member (conventional financing does not allow gifting).

• Must have a property appraisal from an FHA-approved appraiser.

• Mortgage payment (including principal, interest, property taxes, property insurance) needs to be less than 31% of your gross monthly income.

• Monthly debt (mortgage, credit cards, auto, student loans, etc.) cannot be more than 43% of your monthly income.

• Must have a minimum credit score of 500. A credit score of 580 and above requires a 3.5% down payment and a credit score of 500-579 requires a 10% down payment. FHA-qualified lenders will use a case-by-case basis to determine an applicants' credit worthiness.

• Must be two years out of bankruptcy, with good credit.

• Must be three years out of foreclosure, with good credit.

The VA mortgage program is designed for first time homebuyers who are veterans of the armed services. Many times, VA loans will allow a first time homebuyer with bad credit to buy a home with no money down and then benefit from historically low interest rates on their loan. If you are in active duty, in the reserves, or you are married to someone who is, this could be one of the best bad credit loans for first time homebuyers as its down payment and interest options are most favorable to you.

Finally, there is a subprime mortgage loan option, which is specifically for the first time homebuyer with bad credit. A subprime mortgage is a type of loan granted to those with poor credit, often with scores below 600, who, as a result of their poor credit score, would be unable to qualify for other types of mortgages. Since those with poor credit history present a higher risk to mortgage lenders, candidates for subprime mortgages are charged high interests rates than the prime lending rate. Although a subprime mortgage will cost borrowers more in the long run, it is a good option for someone with bad credit who has few other options for a home loan.

Advice for Home Buyers with Bad Credit

If you know you have bad credit and are certain that you still want to purchase a home in the near future, the best advice to take to heart is to plan ahead and try to improve your credit score by producing some positive credit history. And then, before you apply for any of the above-mentioned mortgage loans, make a concerted effort to reduce your regular monthly expenditures and keep them steady; doing this will help you better afford your new mortgage payments in the long term once you are approved, and set you up for a problem-free home buying process.

Popular Articles:

How to Improve Your Credit Score

How Much House Can I Afford?

Buying a Short Sale Property

Homebuyer's Checklist

4 Tips for Managing Your Budget

Mistakes to Avoid When Selling a House

How to Flip a House

Comments

Leave a comment:

* Login in order to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join for Free
1 hour ago

ERIC APRIL

Get your credit cleaned with the help of a reliable and efficient hacker. I had a very low credit score of 370 and it was ruining my life. I needed help. I was very depressed because all effort fixing

1 day ago

Nancy Sobin

We just hit 724 on Experian, my discover and chase credit card also got cleared to zero. FANTASTIC work by all your paralegals working on my account. Please get in touch with them right away and

1 day ago

Lawrence Shawn

Some weeks ago I sought to clean up my credit and after searching and searching and doing quite a bit of research I came across Cyber Guru and made a phone call that changed my life, well actually my

2 days ago

Andrea Vaxncal

Iâ??ve always been having bad experience trying to fix one major thing in my life which is my terrible credit score of 412 for about a year now but always have to go through online scammers one way or

2 days ago

Linda Gray

I wanted a beautiful home suited for my family, a car also start up a good business but I was denied all of this as a result of my poor CREDIT SCORE I was never qualified for anything until I met

2 days ago

Parish Cold

I got my criminal records deleted in 5 working days with the help of this great man. I also have issues because i have bad negative report on my credit report. He helped me delete that particular

2 days ago

Parish Cold

2 days ago

Parish Cold

Show Less Reply
2 days ago

Rumi Banks

My name is Rumi my score is 252 out of 900 on clear score as you can see I cannot get anything at all due to being immature few years back. I have a few negatives, I have an IVA, I also have defaults

3 days ago

randy lewis

I just wanted to write you a letter to express my gratitude for all the work you've done for me in correcting my credit issues. I was not sure what I was getting myself into when I spoke with you a

3 days ago

jack king

Grades changing is important if you can reach out to RichardGreenBlattCreditRepair AT GMaiL DoT CoM or Text him At +1(541) 581-1469.�Our Services are�+Clearing credit card debt �+Credit

3 days ago

Sheryl Hayes

I received an updated copy of my Experian credit report today with unending praises to ROCKBASE CREDIT REPAIR when I discovered that my credit score had been raised from 516 to 785, collections, hard

3 days ago

Elizabeth Hallow

"There was no way I had the time or knowledge to fix my credit myself. "CYBERGURU@INBOX.RU" did exactly what they said they would do. Thanks for the service & money well spent. I have an excellent

3 days ago

Donald Ray

"My credit score is now 730! And I was able to finally purchase the boat of my dreams. I could not have done it without them"

"As my credit is now perfect, I just closed my account and

4 days ago

Theresa Jim

Say No To Notorious Liar! Here is the Real and Legit Boss Hacker who has been saving a lot of people life on there Credit Report plus Negative Items. i have been in battle on bankruptcy and judgment

4 days ago

Martin Svein

My profound gratitude goes to ACTION CREDIT SOLUTIONS for not allowing me to drown in my damn ugly condition. I've really searched for a good credit repair to help me recover from the financial

4 days ago

Melvin Johnson

After deciding to buy our first home, my wife thought I was delusional because we had a terrible credit and couldn't get a loan with that but I was determined to get us out of our place to a better &

4 days ago

Anderson Forje

Hello everyone, my name is Anderson, there is something thatâ??s based mentioning; Competence is one thing we donâ??t need to undermine. DERRICK REPAIR has proven to be competent, reliable and

5 days ago

Howatd Mount

Things fell off and I needed a car loan, but all attempts went to no avail because of my bad credit. After so much research online I came across CLEVER HACKER, I saw good recommendations and I sent

5 days ago

GEORGE LUKE

RANSOM WARECREDIT a real professional team of hackers who has worked for me twice. They are very good at what they do. They offer legitimate services such as clearing of bad records online, without it

5 days ago

Karen Fane

Nik and Co did an excellent work. I truly appreciate it.
My credit was in 500's. Now, it's high 700's. I'd recommend "CREDITMANAGER50@GMAIL.COM" to everyone!!! Thank you so much, guys!

About The Author

Become an Expert Contributor

Have some knowledge to share, and want easy and effective exposure to our audience? Get your articles or guides featured on New Hampshire Homes today! Learn more about being an expert contributor.

Learn More