New Hampshire Logo

Back

Buying a Home with Bad Credit

By Derren Peters

When purchasing a home, your credit will play a very pivotal role in determining if you will qualify for a mortgage that will make buying a home possible. It is useful to know that you can still buy a home even if you have bad credit. Whether you have bad credit from poorly managed debt, have filed bankruptcy or have gone through a foreclosure, there are mortgage loan programs you can utilize that are specifically designed for those with less than favorable credit.

Different types of home loans for bad credit

There are three specific kinds of bad credit loans for first time home buyers that you may qualify for. These are FHA loans, VA mortgage loans, and subprime mortgage loans.

An FHA loan, otherwise known as a Federal Housing Administration insured loan, is a loan program that has been provided by the federal government since the 1930s to help stimulate the housing market, and it is designed to provide options for people who have fair or poor credit, have a low down payment (minimum of 3.5%), have undergone bankruptcy, or have been foreclosed on. It is the easiest type of real estate mortgage to qualify for and it is easy to transfer to a new buyer, should you decide to later sell the home. However, since it lacks other strict standards of a conventional loan, an FHA loan requires two kinds of mortgage insurance premiums, and for the house meets certain conditional standards via an appraisal from an FHA-approved appraiser. To qualify for an FHA loan, a borrower:

• Must have steady employment history or worked for same employer for the last two years.

• Must have valid Social Security number, lawful residency in the U.S., and be of legal age to sign a mortgage in your state.

• Must make a minimum down payment of 3.5% on the house, or 10% down if your credit score is between 500 and 579. The money can be gifted by a family member (conventional financing does not allow gifting).

• Must have a property appraisal from an FHA-approved appraiser.

• Mortgage payment (including principal, interest, property taxes, property insurance) needs to be less than 31% of your gross monthly income.

• Monthly debt (mortgage, credit cards, auto, student loans, etc.) cannot be more than 43% of your monthly income.

• Must have a minimum credit score of 500. A credit score of 580 and above requires a 3.5% down payment and a credit score of 500-579 requires a 10% down payment. FHA-qualified lenders will use a case-by-case basis to determine an applicants' credit worthiness.

• Must be two years out of bankruptcy, with good credit.

• Must be three years out of foreclosure, with good credit.

The VA mortgage program is designed for first time homebuyers who are veterans of the armed services. Many times, VA loans will allow a first time homebuyer with bad credit to buy a home with no money down and then benefit from historically low interest rates on their loan. If you are in active duty, in the reserves, or you are married to someone who is, this could be one of the best bad credit loans for first time homebuyers as its down payment and interest options are most favorable to you.

Finally, there is a subprime mortgage loan option, which is specifically for the first time homebuyer with bad credit. A subprime mortgage is a type of loan granted to those with poor credit, often with scores below 600, who, as a result of their poor credit score, would be unable to qualify for other types of mortgages. Since those with poor credit history present a higher risk to mortgage lenders, candidates for subprime mortgages are charged high interests rates than the prime lending rate. Although a subprime mortgage will cost borrowers more in the long run, it is a good option for someone with bad credit who has few other options for a home loan.

Advice for Home Buyers with Bad Credit

If you know you have bad credit and are certain that you still want to purchase a home in the near future, the best advice to take to heart is to plan ahead and try to improve your credit score by producing some positive credit history. And then, before you apply for any of the above-mentioned mortgage loans, make a concerted effort to reduce your regular monthly expenditures and keep them steady; doing this will help you better afford your new mortgage payments in the long term once you are approved, and set you up for a problem-free home buying process.

Popular Articles:

How to Improve Your Credit Score

How Much House Can I Afford?

Buying a Short Sale Property

Homebuyer's Checklist

4 Tips for Managing Your Budget

Mistakes to Avoid When Selling a House

How to Flip a House

Comments

Leave a comment:

* Login in order to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join for Free
23 hours ago

Dally Miller

Hello everyone have you heard about Vladimir Levin? he changed my life for better, After i contacted him for his credit service, he helped me to upgrade my credit score from 432 to 8020 and eradicate

1 day ago

Tyaa Solomon

Big thanks to HACKWEST. I applied for a mortgage loan few weeks ago but did not qualify. The last time I went through my credit report there were all sorts of things on my report including bankruptcy

1 day ago

Tyaa Solomon

1 day ago

Tyaa Solomon

1 day ago

Tyaa Solomon

1 day ago

Tyaa Solomon

1 day ago

Shelly Kennedy

I had problems securing a loan because of my credit score then my friend introduced me to GARY MCKINNON, I was afraid at first but wow I was so surprised when my loan application was approved when my

1 day ago

Donna Hopkins

When you run into credit problems don't worry too much about it rather think of how you can solve it. When i was struck with several charge offs and inquiries i was near devastated, then i thought

2 days ago

Anita Jacobs

My husband was fighting cancer and it almost crucified us, I needed my credit cleaned so I can get a place to live with my family. I had repos, late payments, bankruptcy, judgments was filed and I

2 days ago

Susan Mayers

Been reading a lot about this hacker and I decided to give him a try and he actually got the job done. I also wanted to boost my credit score and clear my credit card debts because I read it was

3 days ago

Winston Cole

If you are looking for a professional Credit repairer that is specialized in improving Credit Scores and Removal of unwanted items off from your credit profile. Get in touch with

3 days ago

Victor Garrett

came across Notablespy credit repair Video on you tube, and by far was the best and a very inspirational one that I've ever came across. I decided to work on my credit report because my goal was to

3 days ago

Felix Wilcox

My unreserved appreciation goes to HACKWEST. I have purchased the 2018 Mercedes Benz and Iâ??m also qualified for everything. I had a 420 with Transunion, 411 with Experian and a 405 FICO score. I

3 days ago

Tina Marie

Hi, I'm Tina. My husband is diabetic, but this time it became so serious fighting and it almost crucified us, I needed a clean credit so I can get a place to live with my family. I had repossession,

4 days ago

Charlotte Rodriquez

Get your credit repair by Jeff moss. I have spent so many time looking for a way to remove my negatives items on my credit report. A friend of mine introduce me to this ethical hacker Jeff, I doubted

5 days ago

Daniel Delaunay

I am concern about saving souls, I got saved too. I had issues on credit and it was so embarrassing back then, there were limit to things i could do. I had late payment, medical bills, and a criminal

5 days ago

Grant Garner

I just want to thank you for everything you have done for me. I was introduced to this genius hacker Jeff moss to fix my credit score and clear off my criminal record. I work with him for just two

5 days ago

Kevin Ortiz

Hello everyone! I think i have found solution to 60% of Americans problem. And i have seen so many recommendations on Jeff. I wouldnâ??t advise anyone to use most of the hackers now adays because most

6 days ago

Chris Kooner

My heartfelt gratitude goes out to Credit Wizard. I went through divorce recently and let my wife and kids stay in our marital home for a year before we sold it. A guy named Eric spoke well about a

6 days ago

Jeanette Schwartz

When people say hackers are not reliable I laugh at them. I was introduced to a competent hacker (Jeffmosscyberservices@gmail.com). He saved my life literally, because he help me to fix my credit

About The Author

Become an Expert Contributor

Have some knowledge to share, and want easy and effective exposure to our audience? Get your articles or guides featured on New Hampshire Homes today! Learn more about being an expert contributor.

Learn More